Sunday, April 3, 2011

Source Code


It was definitely a lot better than I thought it was going to be...
Source Code is about a soldier named Colter Stevens (played by Jake Gyllenhaal) who finds himself in a mission where he is forced to relive a past event over and over, in order to find a bomber who is expected to blow up a train.  He is only given 8 minute intervals to complete this task, and along the way, he discovers details that change the outcome.  It's like Groundhog Day meets a better version of Unstoppable.  

So let's get started.  This was actually a well-rounded movie.  I kept expecting disappointments, but I'm happy to say, I didn't find many.  The story line starts out a little confusing, not because you don't know what is going on, but because there were some holes in the dialogue.  But, luckily, this gets resolved later on in the film, when things are properly explained, to leave out any confusion.  So that was less of a problem.  They actually did a good job of explaining everything.  It plays on the idea that- if there are two versions of yourself, one in your original reality and one in an alternate reality, how would you be able to change your future?  It also explores the dangers of risking your morality for the sake of the world; doing something immoral and unethical, in order to save lives.  This definitely applies to the treatment of soldiers in our world today.  

Anyways, moving away from my dissecting the film's purpose, to simply critiquing its form:
The acting was good.  I was impressed by Jake Gyllenhaal.  I know he's capable of this level of acting, but sometimes I find him lazy about it.  But in this film, he stepped it up a little.  Which I liked.  Then there is the visual appeal of the film.  It wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad either.  The excitement of the film was limited though.  I realize people are sitting in their seats waiting for something big to happen, but for most of the film, it never really meets those expectations.  One thing that particularly - not bothers me - but sticks in my head, is the ending text.  I won't ruin it for anyone, but if the film suggests an alternate universe, than how is it possible?       

Finally, I was a little taken aback that Russel Peters appears in the film, as a comedian.  It seemed unnecessary to me and simply irrelevant that they asked him in the first place to be in the movie.  Unless he asked them to be in it, for whatever reason.  I thought it was humorous for about half a second and then I just saw it as desperate for publicity or simple attention.  He was pointless.  My advice: stick to what your good at. 

For me this film was a solid, well-put together really good film.  I wouldn't see it again, because nothing about it really stands out to me personally, but I don't regret sitting for an hour and a half to watch it either.  I think it has more to do with the type of person you are, and personally, sci-fi has never truly done it for me.  So, for the majority of you out there, I would say see this film if you enjoy some action, minor suspense, and an attempt at an original/creative plot.  I give this film 7.7/10 for having the essentials, hitting all the marks, but for just not shooting for fantastic!        

No comments:

Post a Comment