Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hanna


It was pretty good... I guess.

Hanna is about a teenage girl (played by Saoirse Ronan: the girl from The Lovely Bones/Atonement) who, for the first time, goes out in the world with the knowledge that her life will always be in danger; something her father (played by Eric Bana) tries to prepare her for.  Along the way, she learns about friendship and family.  This film plays like a thrilling chase that never truly ends.

I'm feeling indifferent about this film.  I should be clear- there was nothing blatantly wrong with it.  The acting was good, sometimes even excellent.  The music along with the fight scenes were well done (it keeps your attention and slows things down so that you could actually see the movements being done).  The shot closeups and side shots were decent, nothing really stood out in that category though.  Not that that's a big deal. 

Then, why do I feel so divided from this film?
I think I wanted more.  The plot's solution was lacking and just not fulfilling.  You leave wishing the ending was different, more explosive.  The revelations aren't as big as you hoped they would be.  I also think the movie felt a little long because not much really changes. I mean, yes the plot somewhat moves forward, but it very clearly ends right where it started.  The problem with this is, from the beginning, you can almost guess the ending, which makes the rest of the film (the middle) somewhat of a letdown.

Random Note: Cate Blanchett's forced southern accent was not consistent and would come out randomly, which took away from her character. 

Maybe I was just in a mood, I don't know.

Ultimately, I recommend this movie despite my own quarrels with it.  It is a good movie.  Eric Bana's not bad to look at either.  I give this film a 7.2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment