Sunday, April 3, 2011

Paul



Okay, now I'm probably going to offend or just simply piss off a lot of people, but, I just didn't get it.
Obviously, I don't mean that literally, but I didn't find it particularly funny.  

For those of you who don't know, Paul is about two sci-fie geeks named Graeme Willy and his best friend Clive Gollings (played by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost), who are on a comic book convention tour across America.  Along their travels they encounter an alien named Paul (voice of Seth Rogen), only to discover that he's being used as a source of information for the government and now he's being held against his will.  The film follows the three of them, and some interesting characters along the way, trying to help Paul get back to his home planet.

Okay, now that the essential is over, I can explain myself a little bit better.  So, it's not that the film doesn't have its funny moments.  I just felt like the humour was more obvious funny, along the lines of silly rather than memorable.  I thought Seth Rogen did a good job with his voice for Paul and I thought the concept was funny in its own right.  But, every time I see Kristin Wiig in a film, my mind directly goes to SNL and that sort of stupid humour.  Like when you laugh because someone walks in to a pole rather than laughing because of an extremely ironic or original joke.  Now, I'm not saying there is no humor in it, it's just not very lasting humor.

The film as a whole runs much like a comedy: crazy coincidences happen, a strange and uncharacteristic romantic element takes place, some sort of "loser" character is the lead.  These are a lot of things you can expect in a raw comedy.  But all in all, for me, it was forgettable.  You really have to be in a specific mood to enjoy these kinds of movies, and frankly, I can see it being appealing for those who enjoy it under the influence.  Which, coincidentally, they do in the film.  The ending was one of your attempts at tying up everything, but ends up being ridiculous and random, as you'd expect.  The acting was okay, the story was okay, the flow of it was okay.   

It was just okay.  Wouldn't see it again.  If you enjoy these kinds of movies, knock yourself out.  I give Paul 6.6/10 ... and I personally think that's kind of generous...

No comments:

Post a Comment