Monday, May 30, 2011

The Hangover Part II


I was careful walking in to this film.  I thought that it would either be hilarious or horrible.  I think it's fair to say that it ended up being somewhere in the middle. 

The Hangover Part II is a continuation of The Hangover.  Following the lives of Alan (Zack Galifinakis), Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), and Doug (Justin Bartha), it's their second time around at throwing one of the most forgettable nights in the history of bachelor parties.  Having lived through Doug's bachelor night in Vegas, it was now Stu's turn.  What we all thought was a night that no one could top, ended up being only the beginning.

Okay, so here's what I thought.  The acting was top notch, like always.  Zack Galifinakis was as funny as usual. Bradley Cooper was the calm and collected leader.  Ed Helms was the one who freaks out.  Nothing new right?  Looks like the entire movie runs much like this... predictable.

Every single scene was almost an exact replica of the first film.  The same songs, the same scene transitions, expansions of old jokes, just different scenery.  This was the film's downfall.  What makes films stand out are their originality and uniqueness.  We want to see something we have never seen before, not what we've seen possibly several times.

Even though this bothered me, I can't deny that the film was funny.  I still enjoyed it.  So I give this film 6.8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment