Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bridesmaids


I think it is important to admit when you make a mistake.  Let me just say that the first time I saw this film, I was pessimistic, because I imagined a really stupid comedy that I was wasting my money on.  I watched the film with this pessimism, and I let the pessimism follow me to the review below.  Let me clarify my feelings for this film as they currently are.  I now give this film 7.7/10I know it's not much of a leap, but this film has grown on me.  I take back what I said about the other characters not having an effect on me, I thought they were all wonderful and talented.  I absolutely love the plane ride scene. I refer to it constantly for a laugh.  But, I stick to what I said about The Hangover still being my personal favourite.  All in all, this was a funny, at times hilarious, and at other times disturbing film, which exceeded my expectations and finally gave me a prominent female cast that shows the men how its done.  So I retract my previous review.  However, it is below if you're curious.   
 
Let me just say, as funny as it was, it isn't worth the hype that's surrounding it.  To compare this film to The Hangover  is carelessness.
In my book, The Hangover reigns supreme.

Bridesmaids is about the relationship between two best friends as one of them is getting married and the other... not so much.  They deal with the hilarity and frustrations of planning a wedding, as well as the complications of feeling like your being left behind.

And now, for a more technical analysis.  Let's break this film down.  Never underestimate the power of innocent stupidity over in-your-face vulgarity.  And this is why Zack Galifinakis' character Allan, from The Hangover, will always be more funny than Melissa McCarthy's character Megan in this film.  They both play the abnormal siblings of the barely acknowledged fiancees.  McCarthy was very funny, don't get me wrong.  She played her character straight-faced and showed us her versatility in comedy and acting.  From Sookie in The Gilmore Girls, to Molly in Mike and Molly, and now to Megan?  You can't deny her talent and fearlessness.  But if you were to look at the kind of comedy she brought... you'd have to admit that it was bordering on disgusting and uncomfortable.  I mean, obviously, these are the aspects that make her funny in the first place, but personally, I prefer humour I can thoroughly enjoy without resisting the urge to cringe.

As for Kristin Wigg?  I was expecting much worse.  I was anticipating an SNL style comedy from her that she continuously brings to films.  It is these films that end up being crap.  But I am happy to say, I was pleasantly surprised.  Yes, there were some scenes that had that SNL flavour, but they were toned down so that your could actually enjoy them without feeling like they're being shoved down your throat.  She finally played a somewhat relatable character in a somewhat relatable film.  I don't think she's ever done that before, so, kudos!

All other characters were forgettable.  None of them stood out or claimed the scenes.  The men in the film played their parts, not that they had much to do in the first place.

So ultimately, I give this film 7.5/10.  Yes that's it.  It's okay, it's pretty funny, but I wouldn't see it again.  Not my kind of funny...

No comments:

Post a Comment