Wednesday, March 7, 2012

This Means War


If Chris Pine and Tom Hardy were not present in this film, it would have been completely pointless and a waist of time - but that's just my opinion.  Not that I have anything against Reese Witherspoon... it's just... look at them!  (picture above)

Okay, now that I sidestepped the obvious, we can get back to the film's synopsis.  This Means War is about two CIA agents, who just happen to be partners, that find out they are dating the same girl.  Competition heats up when they decide to win over her affections, without letting her in on the fact that they know she's dating both of them.  This film stars Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy and Chelsea Handler.

We all can understand the obvious appeal.  A great cast, a romantic trio, and a comedian to make you laugh all the way through.  Sounds like a perfect mix?  Well, it's not.

Despite the fact that each of these actors are good at what they do, for some reason, the putting together of the film doesn't allow that talent to shine.  I blame the producers, the writers, and the director.  Honestly, what were they thinking?  It's almost as if they relied so much on the reputations of the actors to sell their movie, that they didn't bother to make it much of a movie.  The plot was not creative or unique to me, despite the fact they were CIA agents and not just normal men.  The humor was forgettable.  I didn't feel the impact of the storyline.  I didn't feel the intensity of the situation.  It felt rushed all the way through, like they were doing one scene, just so that they could get to the next one.  Chris Pine tries to salvage this oversight, but his efforts weren't enough to prevent this train wreck of a film.  And Tom hardy, really?  I expected so much more from you.  To go from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, to this?

Basically, my problem surrounds the putting together of the film - the editing.  The scene to scene transitions, the plot development, the convenient ending.  It just felt like the least amount of effort was put in from everyone, even at times, the actors.  I know they are capable of better, that's what bothers me the most.

I don't know what else to say.  Major disappointment.  Other than Chris Pine and at times Tom Hardy, this film was weak.  I give this film 5.6/10.  Get your shit together guys!              

No comments:

Post a Comment