Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy


Huh?  I had some trouble understanding what was going on and apparently I'm not the only one...

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy takes place during the time of the Cold War, where it becomes necessary to bring an espionage veteran (Gary Oldman) out of retirement in order to find out who is the spy within the MI6 agency.  Some known actors in this film include Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, and John Hurt.

Let me be clear: all the acting was extraordinary.  There is no question about that.  Gary Oldman was incredible with his character George Smiley.  Colin Firth and Tom Hardy were impeccable as always.  However, this film reminds you just how far acting can go when the plot is confusing and the film's resolve is misunderstood and dissatisfying.

More specifically, I'd like to point out the tone created by the damp and dark London streets.  They truly set the mood for the film perfectly.  The cinematography was carefully constructed so that it was not overpowering or underwhelming.

I guess my issue with this film is, perhaps, that you had to have read the book in order to understand it.  Leaving the theater, I overheard many people claiming to be completely lost.  So, whether or not this is a film you have to really pay attention in, it is not friendly to all audiences and that, in itself, is the flaw that clouds the film.

However, because I am stubborn and want to make sure I'm not missing something, I am going to give it another shot, and see if maybe my perspective can change.  If I pay more attention maybe the film will reveal things to me it hadn't before.

So for now, I give this film 7.8/10 purely for the superior acting and the visuals.  This rating may change over time, so take it with a grain of salt.  If you see this film, feel free to comment because if you could shed light on certain events within it, I would be very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment