Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

For the record, I saw this movie the second day of its release.  The reason it took me so long to write a review on it was because I didn't trust my own reaction.  Sometimes, your mood and expectations can alter your perspective.  I was expecting so much and the hype of the last installment weighed so heavily on me, that I didn't see the film clearly for what it was.  Therefore, I waited a little while to watch it a second time.  And I wasn't disappointed.

Looking back on all the Harry Potter films, the fans have to be proud of the effort put in to them and their execution.  I know I am.  I have only once been truly and rightfully disappointed in a Harry Potter film, and that was the sixth one.  But that's for another time.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 did a wonderful job of keeping true to the book and keeping true to the characters and their gradual development throughout the series.  I was so happy with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint for fully giving this film everything they have physically, mentally and emotionally.  It was the perfect end to a well-put-together series and I applaud them for giving it the proper farewell.

Now, I'm not going to give a synopsis for the film, because everyone pretty much already knows what it's about.  Let's just get to it, shall we?

The reason I felt conflicted the first time I watched the film was because of the speed in which it was moving.  I felt that the whole film was rushing through in order to get to the final battle.  But, the second time I watched it, my point of view slightly changed.  I still say that it felt a little rushed, but I now feel that there was a reason, which perhaps I misconstrued at first.  They were trying to create a different tone for the final film.  It was a tone of "getting down to business" and "jumping right in".  I find this appropriate because this is how the book plays out.  Harry has accepted his destiny and is ready to face it.  Extremely appropriate.  The fear is gone, therefore, the hesitation from the previous films has disappeared.  So my original issue was amended.

Only now there is another issue.  Because Part 1's tone and Part 2's tone are so different, the place in which they meet should coincide.  In other words, where Dobby meets his end and sadness makes its way throughout the theatres, to where Harry is suddenly an overly determined, ballsy, forceful and energetic man?  I guess I didn't quite feel that appropriate transition.  I was still caught up with feeling Harry's fear and sadness that I didn't quite understand his swift change of attitude.  That has less to do with the film as a whole, as it has more to do with how I watch them.

And now for the technical stuff.  The acting was well done.  It was consistent, at times even phenomenal (Alan Rickman/Ralph Fiennes).  The younger actors really stepped it up.  I found that all the loose ends were tied up and everything was explained with sufficient detail.  The graphics were especially great.  The visual of the entire film was extremely well done.  It was everything I imagined it would be, which says a lot.    

I give this film 9/10 for doing everything in their power to make these films the right way and making all the Harry Potter fans proud as a result.  Thanks for a decade of HP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment