Monday, August 1, 2011

Friends with Benefits


Another romantic comedy.  Normally, I wouldn't complain, but somehow, I'm starting to get a little tired of them.  

Friends with Benefits is about a headhunter named Jamie (played by Mila Kunis) who is trying to sell her client Dylan (played by Justin Timberlake) on a job offer in New York.  She spends an entire day, introducing him to the city as she knows it, and welcoming him in as a friend.  Eventually, to her surprise, he decides to take the job offer and moves to New York.  They become good friends instantly and discover that they both have issues with relationships.  Trying out an experiment, they begin sleeping with each other casually without any attachments or commitments.  I think we ALL know how this is going to end.  

As a whole, the film was okay.  It was funny at times, it was relatable.. I guess.  The acting was decent and the story wasn't completely predictable.  So I guess I just wanted more.  I wasn't blown away by anything.  There wasn't much emotion for me to feed off of.  Mila Kunis did a great job trying to bring that in, but Justin Timberlake was lacking.  He wasn't bad, but like I said, I wasn't really impressed.  To me, he didn't seem to have a hard job to pull off from the beginning, so to criticize him is difficult because it seemed like he played a very common character.  A light-hearted, take nothing seriously character.  I'd like to see more from him.  

So I give this film 5.6/10.  I wouldn't see it again just because it didn't stand out to me enough.  It was cute.. that's all.        

No comments:

Post a Comment