Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Tourist


So, I didn't expect much from this film... and that is exactly what I got.  Not much.

Here's a breakdown of the plot.  The Tourist is about a woman named Elise Clifton-Ward (Angelina Jolie) who is involved with a criminal named Alexander Pearce.  She is being followed by the police of Scotland Yard in order to catch Pearce.  This takes place in Italy where Elise chooses an unsuspecting tourist named Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) to be a distraction.  Frank becomes a target.  However, Elise underestimates the guilt she feels for setting Frank up and the feelings that evolve for him.  She saves him, helps him, and tries to finish what she started.   

I am a fan of Johnny Depp, but I had a feeling this wouldn't be one if his shining moments.

But let's move on from him for a moment.
Apparently, Angelina Jolie has been in the mood for picking movies with ridiculous twist endings.  First Salt, then this.  I won't give the ending away for anyone, but, if you think your going to be impressed, all I have to say is, don't get your hopes up.  The twist and turns in this movie weren't clever, the dialogue was nothing special, the acting didn't move me, consume me, or even make me believe in the characters.  For two supposed A-list actors, their performances were mediocre to say the least.  They tried to tie up the film at the end, but all it did was leave questions unanswered.  Specific scenes near the beginning seemed pointless, once the truth was revealed.  Nothing properly connected.   

The character's falling in love was the most unbelievable.  It felt like it came out of no where. And Frank's willingness to go along with everything Elise throws at him was unrealistic and frustrating.   

From Angelina's weak fake British accent to Johnny Depp's unconcerned go-with-the-flow character, I was simply content.  I was not necessarily happy, but I didn't feel like my time was completely wasted.   So, if your in the mood to stare at Angelina Jolie, much like everyone else in the film, or simply watch Johnny Depp -for the first time in his life- play a normal/boring sort of character, then you'd enjoy this film.

I give it 6.2/10 for not being a complete waste of my time but getting pretty close.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle! I finally checked out the blog! haha. great job, thank you for saving me money on the fighter :) I will def be seeing the king's speech instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your taking my advice! Enjoy The King's Speech!

    ReplyDelete