Thursday, January 13, 2011

Country Strong


The first thing I have to say about this film is, it's not for everybody.
Some may say that it's slow moving, predictable, and somewhat repetitive.  More obviously, if you're not a fan of country music, it would most definitely come off boring.  But then, there are those who would say it's a movie that has the capabilities of being a guilty pleasure.  

So to fill you guys in, here's a breakdown of the plot.  A country music star named Kelly Canter (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) hits rock bottom and ends up in rehab.  However, due to the demands of her career, she is prematurely taken out of rehab for a comeback tour.  The film follows her struggle to get back to normal, as well as following the lives of those around her, such as her husband (Tim McGraw), and her opening acts (Leighton Meester and Garret Hedlund).
As a nice tid-bit for you guys, apparently Kelly Canter's character was written with Britney Spears' life as inspiration.  Spears' struggles resembles Canter's in the film.   

Now, to move on.  About 70% of this film shows us Canter's continuous downward spiral that seems to only get worse and worse.  After a while you think; we get the point, she has a lot of baggage.  That's where the repetition comes in. Something happens and she loses it, something else happens and she loses it.  Get the idea?

Then there is the issue of her husbands character.  Tim McGraw especially surprised me.  I was pretty impressed with him when it comes to his acting, however, his character tries to claim sympathy from the audience and fails miserably.  Being the one who takes her out of rehab way too early, he takes little responsibility for the consequences.  I didn't necessarily disagree with the way they portrayed this.  In celebrity life, I can imagine how many times this type of thing happens.  Especially from people who claim to love and care for them.    

Now the reason for this film being a guilty pleasure is all because of Garrett Hedlund.  He makes you swoon after his rescue missions, his blue eyes and his deep musical voice.  I enjoyed him the most for his acting and his character.  And the music.  I enjoyed the songs; they were well sung and kinda catchy.

Leighton Meester was kinda pointless to me.  I mean I understand why she was in the film; out with the old, in with the new.  When I say she was pointless, I mean she didn't make any sort of impression on me.  I didn't love her character or her acting.  She was just okay.  When you're just okay, it's worse than being horrible.  Even horrible actors in films are remembered, but okay actors are forgettable.     
  
Personally, I'm not too sure how I feel about this film just yet.  Which is new for me.  I haven't decided whether it's my guilty pleasure or something I shouldn't be impressed with. 
I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, I'd watch this film again.   

I give this film 7.5/10.   See it at your own discretion.

No comments:

Post a Comment