Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oscar Is On His Way!


Returning from my temporary hiatus, I have quite a bit to make up for.  I know I've been absent for way too long. So I figured - what better time is there to catch up on all that I missed, than while The Academy Awards are just around the corner?

So I'm going to start with one of my favourite movies, nominated for best picture this year.  Silver Linings Playbook has the combined efforts of Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper and Robert DeNiro. They create a lovable and dysfunctional trio that can't help but tug at your heart strings, make you appreciate life's struggles, and remind you of the rewards of perseverance, love and family. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have great chemistry, and Cooper really puts his heart and soul into this role, which didn't go unnoticed.  To me, this is a generation that needs to be given hope - that needs to be able to see that silver lining, no matter what the circumstances.  Films filled with despair and regret are beautiful in their own way, but the point that this film gets across is the ability to get through the darkness - and in order to do that, you have to see the potential light you are meant to reach.  It was refreshing to see a film full of hope with the power of positivity.  You can't help but feel relief and joy towards the end.  I found myself fighting the urge to cheer with the characters, but (fearing my embarrassment by doing so in a theater filled with people) I settled for a wide grin instead.  I could watch this film over and over.  To me this film is timeless.  So, if you feel like a comedic, realistic, and positive film that will leave you grinning on the way out, see Silver Linings Playbook! I give this film 9.5/10

Next on the list of nominations: Django Unchained is nominated for best picture as well.  For me, Quentin Tarantino is different and unique, but for some reason, he always seems to fall short in his plot development.  Sometimes I think Tarantino is more obsessed with portraying a traditional kind of masculinity through static characters and fake blood, than through a well-developed storyline and more dynamic characters.  You don't have to dig very deep to understand the characters in this film.  Having said that, Leonardo DiCaprio did a great job playing a southern heartless villain, stealing the show from its lead, Jamie Foxx.  I would like to give a shout out to Christoph Waltz, because he is one of those talented and versatile actors that always delivers, but for some reason, gets completely overlooked around award season.  He also made the film the success it has been.  Now, this is my issue with Tarantino: if he happened to choose bad actors, this film wouldn't stand a chance.  The actors made the film a success, and without DiCaprio and Waltz, Jamie Foxx would not have been able to carry the film on his own.  There just aren't enough redeeming qualities to substitute what the actors created.  They deserve the credit, not Tarantino.  I know it sounds harsh, but that's my opinion.  If you want typical blood and guts, sometimes senseless action, and unrealistic shooting scenes, than see this film.  It won't be a completely forgettable experience, because at least Waltz and DiCaprio leave a lingering echo of talent.  I give this film 8.6/10.        

Now it's time for Les Miserables, one of the most talked about films during the award season this year.  This film is remarkable in its production and actor dedication.  As you're watching it, you feel the effort, the sweat and tears that these actors must have gone through in order to achieve the results they did.  But above all, Anne Hathaway is the prize of the entire production!  She may have been in one third of the film, but she made enough of an impression that lasted throughout, and I have a feeling, it will continue to last throughout the Academy Awards.  Her performance was the most raw and effective performance, from her musical perfection to the emotional deterioration of the character.  In those short moments with her on screen, you feel totally connected to her in a way that shocks your entire being.  I almost never cry in movies, like never, but the tears that were streaming down my face were unstoppable.  Hugh Jackman did a wonderful job as well, like anyone would have predicted.  The entire cast did beyond their best to deliver this film to its full potential, and one can only appreciate that kind of dedication and effort.  As for Russell Crowe... what were they thinking?!!  He was the most obvious weak link in the entire cast.  He was not really menacing as his character would like you to believe, and he was an awful singer!  He seemed more like a solid piece of flesh that simply moved the plot forward.  Hugh Jackman's supposed fear of this man did not link up with the man himself.  He was a big mistake!  Let's just say, I was more relieved about the ending, because I didn't have to sit through his singing anymore.  Now, the movie is long, for all of you who get restless in 2 hour movies, keep in mind, this film is completely singing (no one ever just talks) and it goes on for about 3 hours straight.  Also, it is a very depressing film - keep that in mind as well.  If you don't appreciate the history of the story and the history within the film, this may not be your cup of tea, but I do have to say, Anne Hathaway is incredible in it and manages to make it worth the watch!  I give this film 9.3/10.

As for the other best picture nominations, I haven't quite gotten around to seeing them all.  My next film will hopefully be Lincoln, which I know will be driven by a powerful performance from its lead: Daniel Day Lewis.  So, I'm looking forward to that.  I have no doubt in Lewis' abilities as an actor, still remembering his wonderfully unsettling performance in There Will Be Blood.  He seems to be on another playing field than the rest of his fellow actors, so I'm sure he won't disappoint.  I still haven't seen Argo, Life of Pi, or Zero Dark Thirty, so those are also on the list to watch. I've heard from more than one person that Argo is good, but not amazing, which makes me wonder why it's getting so much attention. I'm also hesitant to see Zero Dark Thirty, because it is done by the same people who did The Hurt Locker, and to me, even though they are both good films, they are driven more by American pride than its versatility as a film.  Those kinds of productions don't excite me to my core like the raw human emotion of everyday people and their struggles.  I've heard Life of Pi is extraordinary, so I'm excited to see that too!

There are lots to see, and I will try my best to update more regularly, so please bare with me. I hope you enjoy these films like I did!  Enjoy!                               

No comments:

Post a Comment