Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Midnight in Paris


This film lived on its scenery, a few choice actors, and a love for the arts. With its dry humor and conversation, this film screams Woody Allen.  Now, don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing.   

Midnight in Paris follows the life of a Hollywood writer trying to find his way back to inspiration and a fresh perspective amidst writing his own book.

I enjoyed following the quick banter and bickering between Owen Wilson's character and Rachael McAdam's character.  I also enjoyed how fast it took for the plot to evolve as we begin seeing literary and artistic figures from the past.  The scenes were beautiful, historical, and cultured.  The costumes were well done.  I enjoyed this film in every way visually.

As for the acting, it was well done on all accounts.  I love Marion Cottilard as always; I just think she's so talented.  Owen Wilson did a wonderful job.  I absolutely hated Rachael McAdams' character which must mean she did a wonderful job as well, since that was most likely the intention.       

As for the historical accuracy of the film and the literary/artistic figures it meant to represent, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting a depiction of Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Gertrude Stein and Picasso.  These are some of the men and women behind the classics that surpassed centuries.  It was extremely inspiring, as it was meant to be for the protagonist.  This film fulfilled its purpose, setting it before our eyes in the most imaginative way. 

Now, I acknowledge that people who do not have a passion for literature and art, may not understand or appreciate this film for what it tries to do.  However, I believe the point that this film is trying to convey is to follow your passions, whatever they are, or life passes you by and leaves you unfulfilled.

If you can't tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this film.  I give it 8.2/10.   

No comments:

Post a Comment