Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Help


Sorry for the slight absence there, but I'm back and I have lots to tell!

I saw The Help a few weeks ago but, unfortunately, I haven't found the time to write about it.  Luckily the film made such an impact on me, that a few weeks isn't long enough to forget about it.  
The Help is about African American maids in the 1960s, as we watch their lives and their hardships unfold while working for white families, and ultimately, having their stories told within a heartwarming book.  This film stars Emma Stone, Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Octavia Spencer.  It's moving, it's disturbing, and it's is real to its very core.

Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer stole the show in this film.  I was blown away by their talent.  These ladies know how to lead the way.  Emma Stone was her usual charming and humorous self, which sucks you in immediately.  This film was not only female driven, but female empowered.  I was so moved, I even felt a tear stream down my cheek.  Let me tell you, that doesn't happen very often, even when a film is excellently sad. 

Expect tears, expect the reality of the time, and expect the power that women have to tug at your heart strings and make you see life for what it really is.  

Enjoy this film!!! You won't regret it.  I give this film 8/10.       

No comments:

Post a Comment