Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau


I went in to this film not expecting too much, especially because the concept is a little too out there for me.  However, I am happy to say that they pulled it off for the most part.

The Adjustment Bureau is about the life of a man named David Norris (played by Matt Damon) and a woman named Elise Sellas (played by Emily Blunt) that both have a specific fate created for them by a higher power.  But when they meet and pursue each other they go against this plan.  Suffice it to say, chaos ensues immediately and the Adjustment Bureau comes in to correct the error and get back on track.

The idea of the film is admirable.  The idea that we need to fight for our freedom, our choices and decisions.  We have to fight for the outcomes of our own lives.  I enjoyed the obvious appeal; the chase scenes and the romance scenes were done well.  I don't know if it was just me, but I found some of the acting a little lax.  I can't explain it exactly, there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the way they played the characters, but I found Matt Damon a little too casual, perhaps a little too laid back for his role.  Nothing he did really blew me away and we all know he's capable of it. 
Surprisingly, nothing felt rushed or too hard to believe under the circumstances of the film.  It was definitely a relief because it could have been very easy to speed through things.

Something that kinda bothered me was the lack of meaning behind the Bureau's existence in the first place.  They didn't properly explain it.  I also felt as though it was anti-climactic, especially at the end.  It was almost an abrupt ending.  It kind of kept building up and then never really gave you what you were waiting for (whatever that was).

Because of this slight let down at the end, I give the film a 6.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment